Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Visitor

I love Tomie dePaola's illustrations and this is quite influenced by him, especially in the decorative foliage and the little building. He uses acrylics though and this is a mixture of regular and liquid watercolors. I didn't stretch the paper which is why the top of the box is wavy! Also I used hot press watercolor paper and made a virtue of the fact that that takes washes less well than cold pressed by making the background quite textured, but I wonder what a more washy background would have looked like. I'm not sure who the figures are. I had in mind a Franciscan friar but realized too late that he would be unlikely to be carrying anything.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the person looking out of the window is Mother Julian of Norwich? She apparently dispensed homely advice through the window of her cell, a kind of mediaeval, religious agony aunt.

    ReplyDelete