Monday, August 10, 2015

Adventures in linocut

I just completed my first ever reduction linocut. Here's the plate with the image drawn on in sharpie and just the areas I wanted to be white cut out.
And here are the first two colors I printed.
The pink was first, then I cut away more of the block and printed with the blue. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the pink to print well and in the end found out that I hadn't sanded my block enough.

I added a lighter green, cut away more of the block and then did the darker green. The colors dry lighter so at first I thought I might stop at this point, but later decided to go ahead with black as I'd intended.
This is the final print. I learned so much doing this - about the right viscosity of the inks (I used a mixture of Akua intaglio inks and Speedball block printing inks along with a couple of different mediums), about the importance of precise registration, about my chosen brand of lino and about the press at Makers' Mill in North Adams where I did the printing. It took a few days because of waiting for the inks to dry completely between stages. Here's a shot of the great drying rack they have over there. 
It's a lot of fun as well as a little nerve wracking not being sure how things will turn out in the end. I came away with 11 prints, but they're all a little different from each other.



8 comments:

  1. Looks like an intriguing process. Your prints look good! I think the black made the colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne. I agree that the black held everything together. It's intriguing working in a way that (unlike painting) means you don't know till the very end if it worked - though maybe you deal with that all the time with dyeing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for providing good information,Thanks for your sharing.

    หนังผี

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Thank you for nice information
    Please visit our website unimuda and uhamka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete